Followers

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Yo Mama's Care -- Not Obama Care

I am now officially the Family caregiver!  Yes, that means, "me!"  This isn't going to be Obama Care and I pray it never will be!  Instead, I choose to think of it as "Yo Mama's Care.  Is it going to be about how you  would treat your mother and/or father -- not universally, but personally.  Are you going to make a way for one or both of your parents in your life or home if it comes down to that instead of sending them to a nursing facility or a "home?"  Is it the kind of "home" that you want to be placed when you get older?  I certainly don't want to be put in a nursing home when I get older so I am planting good seeds that will bring forth a good harvest.  On a positive note -- I don't have any kids that will "send me" to a home.

I do have a few trepidations.  I have never taken care of another person as intimately as I will need to do for my father.  To transfer him in and out of the bed and his lift chair, dress and undress him, take him to the bathroom and clean up after him, change his Depends, wash him, give him his medicine, feed him, etc.  Am I going to be able to do all of this?  My sister was a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) so she has had a lot of training with older people and with people that are not able to walk or take care of themselves.  One of my gifts is hospitality but I'm not sure if this will be pushing the envelope in what I can actually do. 

Ironic.  Funny.  Twenty-four years ago at this exact same time, I was moving to Texas and not sure what was going to happen.  Now I'm going full circle and moving back to New York -- at least for an undetermined amount of time. 

I arrived on July 4th to hot weather.  Remember I lived in Dallas for 24 years so I know a little bit about "hot" weather!  What is it doing reaching almost 100 degrees in New York?  I don't remember it being this hot when I lived here and I emphatically declare, "I did not bring it with me!"   I was hoping to be greeted with a little bit more open arms and cooler temperatures.  Well, at least my sister was glad to see me since she had to go back to Tennessee in less than a week.  I will have a few days with her to get caught up and for her to teach me how to transfer, bathe, and feed Ensure through the G Tube in his stomach.



 








No comments:

Post a Comment